Monday, August 11, 2008

Amazing Effort!

Did you see the men's relay in swimming last night?!! Wasn't that absolutely unbelievable?!! When Jason Lezak made that final turn, I thought there was no way he could catch up to the French. And then, he inched closer, but he only had half a pool left to go -- and he kicked it up a notch and the Frenchman faltered a tad! And then it still looked like France had touched first -- but no, Jason got the win by .08!!

Here's what he said:

"I'm not going to lie," Lezak said. "When I flipped at the 50 and I still saw how far ahead he was, and he was the world-record holder 'til about two minutes before that, when Sullivan led off with the world record, I thought, it really crossed my mind for a split second, there's no way.

"Then I changed. I said, you know what, that's ridiculous. This is the Olympics. I'm here for these guys. I'm here for the United States of America. It's more than -- I don't care how bad it hurts, or whatever, I'm just going to go out there and hit it. "Honestly, in like 5 seconds, I was thinking all these things -- you know, just got like a super charge and took it from there. It was unreal."

For our January race, I look forward to all of supporting each other, and gutting it out for the team. And I hope I reach the finish line with more than .08 seconds to spare!!

1 comment:

Chris said...

That was an unbelieveable race, so glad I stayed up to watch (nearly went to bed waiting so long for it..). The best part was the looks on the faces of the French!!! Not to pull out my 80's music roots, but "Big talk is just talk un-less you're backin' it up" (Warrant, Big Talk).

Some may say that individualism has killed teamwork....I think not!