Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Fitness 2013

Hi everybody!  Long time, no blog :)

So it's 2013, and I think it's a good time to focus on fitness again.  And I'm looking forward to it!  I don't know if I'll manage to run a half marathon again, since I'm old and creaky.  But if so, that will be icing on the cake .... uh ..... I mean, sugarfree caramel on an apple?

In 2011 and 2012, I was focused on my new job at a University, and taking courses on the side to finish my degree.  The most important thing I learned from running the Disney half marathon was that if I really, really want to accomplish something, I can.  But it has to be something I really want.

Once I started taking courses again -- one a semester -- the lesson I learned about consistency and focus really helped me with my courses.  But I also learned that I can only do three things at a time in my life -- work, school, home -- or -- work, exercise, home. 

Now you super-heroes, hush up!  You might can manage four things!!  But I can only manage three things!!!  The time that I would normally spend at the gym -- weeknights and weekends -- I had to devote toward homework. 

So this semester, I'm not taking a course so that I can focus on fitness again!  Obviously I don't like that I've gained the weight back that I lost when training for the Disney half.  But what I really don't like is the lack of strength, lack of flexibility, and general decline in my health.

So, here's the plan.  I'll get back into my gym routine -- will stop by most weeknights and both days on the weekends.  It will take me a while before I look forward to the gym, but the blog will help me stay accountable.  I have a goal of hitting the gym or doing a walk/run for 200 days in 2013!  That seems reasonable and reachable.

Second tactic will be to do a short walk most weekdays before I eat lunch.  I have a work friend who walks with me.   In spring 2012 we were doing stairs in one of our science buildings, and that was really, really, really good for us :)  My goal for lunch walks will be 150 days!!  That's an average of 3 times a week, so it should be easy, in theory.

And lastly, a trainer.  I think most of you remember that I worked out with a great trainer before my first Disney half.  He really helped me strengthen my legs and core and stamina, so I was ready for the race.  He pushed me waaaaaay more than I would have pushed myself.  But since I changed jobs, we're on opposite sides of town, and I could only manage to get there occasionally.

But my massage therapist moved to a new place, and I am going to try out the owner/trainer there, hopefully in two weeks.  Now I don't think I'll make a goal for the trainer, just in case she doesn't work out.  But my fingers are crossed.

So that's my story and my plan for now.  I know it sounds like just another New Year's resolution.  But my mindset is good, and I am looking forward to Fitness 2013!!






1 comment:

Amanda said...

Good to hear from you. Those are some great goals, reasonable and achievable!